MARK SYLVIA OF EMPIRE LIFE ELECTED AS CLHIA’S 2018-19 CHAIR
News ReleaseRelease Date: 06/21/2018 Staff Reference: Wendy Hope
(Toronto, June 21, 2018) – At today’s Annual General Meeting of the Canadian Life and Health Insurance Association Inc. (CLHIA), Mark Sylvia, President and Chief Executive Officer, The Empire Life Insurance Company, was elected Chair of the Association.
“The year ahead is shaping up to be one of the most dynamic that the life and health insurance industry has ever experienced with national pharmacare and distribution issues, such as compensation disclosure in group products, at the top of our list,“ stated Mr. Sylvia. “Our industry is a key contributor to Canada’s economic success and my goal is to make sure that our voice continues to be heard,” he emphasized.
During his term of office, Mr. Sylvia will be working with a Board of Directors including: newly elected Chair Elect Alka Gautam, President and Chief Executive Officer, RGA Life Reinsurance Company of Canada; past Chair, Paul Mahon, President and Chief Executive Officer, The Great-West Life Assurance Company/London Life Insurance Company/The Canada Life Assurance Company; and the following Directors:
- G.N. (Arnie) Arnott, President and Chief Executive Officer, Saskatchewan Blue Cross;
- James Boyle, President and Chief Executive Officer, Foresters Financial;
- Steve Bradie, President and Chief Executive Officer, Green Shield Canada;
- Jean-François Chalifoux, Chief Executive Officer, SSQ, Life Insurance Company Inc.;
- Yvon Charest, President and Chief Executive Officer, Industrial Alliance Insurance and Financial Services Inc.;
- Gregory Chrispin, President and Chief Executive Officer, Desjardins Financial Security Life Assurance Company;
- Mark Cummings, President and Chief Executive Officer, Teachers Life Insurance Society (Fraternal)
- Michael Doughty, President and Chief Executive Officer, Manulife Canada;
- Jacques Goulet, President, Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada;
- Christopher Knight, Senior Vice President, Life, Health and Creditor Products, TD Life Insurance Company;
- Neil Skelding, Chairman of the Board, RBC Life Insurance Company; and
- Stephen Frank, President and Chief Executive Officer, Canadian Life and Health Insurance Association
About the CLHIA
The CLHIA is a voluntary association whose member companies account for 99% of Canada’s life and health insurance business. The industry provides a wide range of financial security products such as life insurance, annuities (including RRSPs, RRIFs and pensions) and supplementary health insurance to more than 28 million Canadians. It also holds over $810 billion in assets in Canada and employs nearly 155,000 Canadians.
For more information:
Wendy Hope, Vice President, External Relations