Genetic Testing and Life InsuranceRelease Date: 01/11/2017 Staff Reference: Brent Mizzen
Our Industry’s Commitment to Canadians
Canada's life and health insurers are sensitive to the concerns of Canadians about the use of genetic testing information and commits to:
- Never ask a person applying for life insurance to take a genetic test.
- Not ask for, or use, genetic testing information for applications for life insurance of $250,000 or less, effective January 1, 2018.
- May ask for and use genetic testing information for tests that have already been done;
- Will not ask for the results of a genetic test if a test was done for medical research purposes and the person applying and his/her doctor are not aware of the results; and
- Will not require genetic testing information of anyone (e.g., family members) other than the applicant.
Canada’s life and health insurers are committed to helping Canadians protect themselves and their loved ones against the financial impacts of
unexpected events, while continuing to ensure that all Canadians can access life insurance at fair and reasonable prices.
Click on the bubbles below for information about Genetic Testing and Life Insurance.